Are you researching Boston College athletics? Try the archival collections and publications listed below. If you need further help, please contact us!
- Boston College athletic photographs (1889-2013) Look here for:
- Players – individuals & groups
- Game-day photographs
- Photographs can be requested at the Burns Library, but many are also online.
- There is no film or video available.
- Newspaper articles. Look here for:
- The Stylus (1883-1922) and The Heights (1919-2015) include athletics coverage.
- Contemporary accounts of games and events
- Boston College Athletic Programs (1910-2015) Look here for:
- Alumni papers. Look here for:
- Doug Flutie collection
- The collection includes publications, periodical clippings, ephemera, and artifacts documenting the career of Heisman Trophy-winning collegiate and professional football player Doug Flutie, particularly his achievements during his years as a Boston College quarterback.
- Finding Aid for Doug Flutie collection
- William J. Flynn papers
- The papers include correspondence, printed materials, manuscripts, photographs and artwork documenting Flynn as a student athlete and, later in life, as an athletic director. Of note are correspondence with the Daniel F. Tully Associates, designers of the Flynn Student Recreational Complex at Boston College, and photographs of Flynn with prominent individuals, including Jack Bicknell, Ed Chlebek, J. Donald Monan, S.J., Tip O'Neill, and Ronald Reagan.
- Finding Aid for William J. Flynn papers
- Boston College swimming and diving records
- Records include awards, dinner programs, media guides, newsletters, photographs, statistics (meet results and other statistics), video recordings of competitions, and some files related to the Boston College water polo team.
- Finding Aid for BC swimming and diving records
- Nathaniel J. Hasenfus papers, 1915-1982
- The papers contain correspondence, manuscript materials, research materials, and scrapbooks related to Hasenfus's work chronicling athletics at BC. Included are manuscripts of the first (published) and second (unpublished) volumes of Athletics at Boston College.
- Finding Aid for Nathaniel J. Hasenfus papers
- James O'Brien collection of Emerald Isle Classic material, 1986-1991.
- Maurice V. Dullea, SJ papers
Papers include materials related to Dullea's early life and family, his experiences during WWI and WWII, his time as a student on the Boston College football team, and his work as BC Athletic Director and in the Society of Jesus. A member of BC's class of 1917, he was a football team member from 1914-1916, and captain in 1916. He played in the dedication game of the school's first football field on the Chestnut Hill campus. In 1929 he was ordained to the priesthood at Weston College. He served as BC's Faculty Moderator of Athletics two terms, 1940-1943 and 1946-1957, and was a Professor of Theology from 1958 until he retired in 1967. In January, 1941, during his first term as Moderator of Athletics, the football team won the Sugar Bowl. In 1978, Dullea was inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame.
Finding aid for the Maurice V. Dullea, SJ papers
Check out our list of Secondary Sources or search the library catalog to find published sources about Boston College athletics.