The Boston College Libraries add Value Beyond Discovery.
As intellectual and cultural centers for Boston College, the Libraries acquire, preserve, and facilitate access to world-class collections, engage in collaborations that benefit scholarship, teaching, and learning, and support student formation and discernment in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition. We achieve this by being an agile organization, offering dynamic user spaces, providing excellent collections and services that anticipate the evolving needs of diverse academic communities, and partnering with faculty and students--from the discovery of relevant resources to the creation and dissemination of new knowledge.
Library Guiding Principles:
- Access - We support academic inquiry and intellectual freedom by providing equitable access to the highest quality scholarly resources and services whenever and wherever users need them.
- Innovation - We are a creative, experimental, and responsive organization that engages with the global scholarly community to achieve distinction in research, learning, and teaching.
- Stewardship - We cultivate and preserve our collections, manage our resources, and prepare for the future in support of Boston College's academic mission as a Jesuit, Catholic University.
- People - We cultivate an open, respectful, diverse, and collaborative environment that contributes to the intellectual and ethical growth of the Boston College community.
Library Workplace Values:
- Community - We support each other with kindness and generosity and cultivate an inclusive and collaborative workplace.
- Communication - We create an environment of open communication that builds constructive relationships within and across work groups.
- Accountability - We work individually and collaboratively to provide outstanding service and are accountable to ourselves, our work groups, and the Boston College Libraries.
- Improvement - We engage in continuous assessment and improvement of our skills and work processes. The Libraries encourage and support our participation in learning opportunities and professional development.
- Initiative - We are committed to excellence and support personal initiative, risk-taking, and creativity to foster individual development and superior library services.
Library Assessment Questions
These questions guide us as we plan for new services and reflect on activities.
- Is it good for the user?
- Is it good for Boston College?
- Is it the right thing to do?
- Is it sustainable?