Skip to main content
Chat With Us

University Archives



Getting started using the institutional records and publications of Boston College, as well as Faculty and Alumni papers.

What's in the University Archives?

The University Archives is the repository for non-current Boston College records having permanent, historical, legal, fiscal, or administrative value. The archives also holds professional and personal papers of some faculty and alumni. In addition, we collect publications by and about Boston College.

How do I find Boston College records?

Material in the University Archives is arranged in a series of "Record Groups" and "Subgroups" reflecting the Boston College's reporting structure. A list of the Record Groups can be found below.

Some -- but not all -- materials in the archives are represented in the library catalog. To browse the cataloged materials, do a search in the catalog for "BC Archive" and limit the results to show only the "Archives and Manuscripts" material type.

If you're not sure about what we have, ask! Just contact the Burns Library reference desk or archives staff.

Restrictions on Use

Office records are available for research at the discretion of the originating office; this decision is not made by the Library. When records are available for research, they are called "open"; records restricted from research are called "closed."

What's open?

Boston College President's Office Records prior to 1969 are open; however, some folders are closed for privacy reasons. In most cases, faculty and alumni papers are open for research. There are few to no restrictions on publications, photographs, athletics programs, and media guides. 

What's closed?

Most Boston College office records are closed. In many cases, researchers can obtain permission from the originating office to use records within narrow parameters. Contact the archives staff to find out if there is material relevant to your research within closed records in the University Archives. We will help you contact the offices and gain permission for access.

Where are the University Archives?

The University Archives are retained in the John J. Burns Special Collections Library and are non-circulating (these materials cannot be borrowed, but can be used in the Reading Room).

To learn more about using the Burns Library, consult our general information Library Guide or contact the Library staff.

Can you help us?

The Heights student newspaper is available online (1919-2015), but there were a few gaps in our holdings and some damaged issues for which we need replacements. Please take a look at the list of missing issues and share it with anyone you think would be likely to have and willing to donate a missing issue to the Libraries for this purpose and for long term preservation.

Thanks for your help!

Front page of The Heights student newspaper first issue.


Amy Braitsch's picture
Amy Braitsch
John J. Burns Library