Skip to Main Content
Chat With Us

Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

:

Progress Updates

Overview

As we continue work on equity, diversity, and inclusion in the six areas identified in our action plans, the EDI Advisory Committee provides short monthly updates on the work being done. If you have any questions or want to learn more about one of the six areas, reach out the EDI Advisory Committee (bcl-edi-group-ggroup@bc.edu) or to the liaison for a particular group.

Contact points:

    August 2021

    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox):
    • Drafted short EDI statement that will be required on all BCL job postings (hiring managers can add additional language, but this base statement must be used); WRRC group will review before statement is sent to ULAC for final approval
    • Will be meeting with Staff Support liaisons & the liaisons of the BC Libraries Affinity Groups to discuss concerns/overlap of interests/shared work regarding representation in recruitment and retention practices.
    • BCL will be working with OID to provide a workshop around diversity and hiring to ULAC/ExULAC
      • WRRC will evaluate this training for rollout to the wider staff / pool of search committee members
    • HR has indicated that they will not provide specific racial demographics of candidate pools.
    • Working on planning for Fall priorities / benchmarks which will need to be approved by ULAC
    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):
    • The summer EDI discussion groups were completed. 37 people attended the 5 staff sessions in addition to the dedicated ULAC/XULAC sessions.
    • The committee sent out a survey for participants to evaluate their experience
    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):
    • Public Service Heads are working on establishing priorities and operationalizing existing recommendations.
    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):
    • Special Libraries reviewed the signage, IDs, desk functionality, and financial issues noted on the EDI Services spreadsheet. TML is creating public floor plans to direct people to classrooms and other spaces.
    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):
    • The subject groups (Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences) are meeting with Stephen (Head of Collections) to discuss the EDI Collection Development (CD) Policy Statements that have been in the works.
    • Stephen is in the process of writing a CD statement for O’Neill/Bapst as a whole and plans to have it up (with EDI statement) by December.
    • EDI Fund group has been meeting to discuss how to approach using a fund dedicated to EDI purchases.

    July 2021

    Services (Liason: Scott Britton)
    • Proposals have been approved for automatic renewals and same-library/same-campus requesting for all users. These changes will take place by the end of July
    • The Instruction Team continues to work on guidelines for inclusive pedagogy.
    • The TCs are exploring systems to provide real-time public computer availability and a map of available software.
    • TCs determined that language choice is not possible on public PCs but is available for public Macs. Instructions for the Macs will be written.
    Staff Support (Liaison: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman)

    We are working toward making the BC libraries more inclusive of off-hour staff. To this end, we are currently gathering feedback from those who do not work in a typical Monday-Friday, 9-5 role to move this initiative forward.

    Call for Feedback: If you work evenings, nights, or weekends we would love to gather your thoughts, feedback, concerns, and how you feel we can best support or include you? Please feel free to reach out to the Staff Support Liaisons: Cat Ruth-Coleman and Jocelyn Figlock. However, if you would prefer to share feedback and remain anonymous, you can use LEAG's feedback form and LEAG will redirect it to the Staff Support group. Thank you!

    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudrea)

    We’re actively coordinating logistics for the summer discussion groups and follow up sessions.

    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaison: Katherine Fox, Shatoya Gay)
    • Reviewing ULAC responses to WRR recommendations
    • Identifying next steps
    Physical Environment (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro) -- Summer Benchmarks
    • Current project for June-August 2021: Working on assessment of the physical spaces in all the libraries by establishing a baseline, identifying issues & allocating responsibilities (what can Libraries control vs. facilities), and establishing priorities.
    • Expected milestone by end of summer: Department heads will complete assessment and begin identifying next steps.
    • Why this priority matters: Vital for creating an accessible environment with cultural representation of a variety of cultures.
    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras)
    • Coordinating with our new head of Collection Development (Stephen), EDI Coll. is re-prioritizing our summer and fall plans. That includes:
      • The EDI Fund discussion is moving forward
      • The liaisons are moving forward with their EDI statements for their collection development policies (look for more updates soon!)
      • EDI Coll. is working with Coll. Adv. to look into beginning (it’ll be a long, careful process) for updating the A-Z list
    • Discussions of metadata/discovery have been postponed due to staff leaves.

    June 2021- Summer Benchmarks

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras)
    • Current project for June-August 2021: (Note: With recent staffing changes (hiring of a Head of Collections, and the Head of Metadata's upcoming maternity leave) these priorities may be changing. Updates for new priorities will be provided if so.)
      • Forming a subgroup for an EDI fund to scope what funds would look like and begin evaluating implementation. 
      • >Following from earlier work on a larger EDI Collection Development Policy, liaisons are creating subject specific EDI collection development statements and planning implementat steps in their areas
      • Prioritizing EDI-related metadata recommendations for review by the Discovery Council
    • Expected milestones by end of summer:
      • Prioritized list by the end of August for scoping EDI funds and figuring out implementation
      • Subject-specific EDI collection development statements will be written and shared
    • Why this priority matters:  The projects matter because it’s about establishing EDI consideration as part of our ongoing cultural environment. This is about commitment and then sustained implementation.
    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton): 
    • Current projects for June-August 2021: Services are continuing to work with departments and committees on review and changes to services. Prioritization this summer has been based on staffing and expected workloads in the various departments. Major areas include inclusive pedagogy by the Instruction Team and policy and space reviews by Public Services Heads. 
    • Expected milestones by end of summer: Designated tasks will be completed. New guidelines or changes in policy will be shared with all-staff. 
    • Why this priority matters: Continued review and improvement of services is important. A service is not a great service if it also creates barriers and inequities. It's as equally important to look at external patron and service needs through a lens of EDI as it is to review internal staff needs. 
    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro): 

    Benchmarking meeting to be held at the end of June. Will be included in the July updates. 

    Staff Support (Liaisons: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman):
    • Current projects for June-August 2021: Investigating the needs for staff support of off-hours (non M-F 9-5) employees. This includes discussions with LEAG and ULAC and collecting feedback and expectations from off-hour employees. 
    • Expected milestones by end of summer: Scoping of this new priority area. 

    • Why this priority matters: Inclusion of off hours employees would contribute to building a more inclusive work environment. Off hours employees usually feel removed from what goes on at the libraries.
    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):
    • Current projects for June-August 2021: Creating learning opportunities for staff, ULAC, and Ex-ULAC throughout the summer. These will be facilitated discussions, with OID's assistance, that follow the Courageous Conversations model. 
    • Expected milestones by end of summer: Facilitated sessions spread across 5 weeks with various days and times so that staff can participate based on their availability. 
    • Why this priority matters: These sessions will allow for broader staff engagement in EDI and allow us to learn how to have difficult conversations and build a greater sense of community. 
    Workforce Recruitment & Retention  (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox): 
    • Current projects for June-August 2021: Re-aligning the committee's roadmap to be in line with ULAC's priorities and clarifying roles and communication between ULAC and the WRRC. 

    • Expected milestones by end of summer: Create a revised roadmap, clarify priorities and roles.  We want to make sure that there is a clear direction for future group members

    • Why this priority matters: Carefully planning EDI changes in the hiring process and working with various stakeholders is essential so that recommendations are adopted by the entire organization for overall growth. 

    May 2021

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):

    In March and April, EDI Coll. scoped their mandate and set priorities for FY 2022, which we worked into our scheduled tasks. Because the tasks EDI Coll. approaches often require pilots and working groups with members from across the libraries, the group has decided to move forward with one meeting a month (last Wednesday). We’re excited about moving forward!

    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):

    A proposal to provide automatic renewals for all users was submitted and is being reviewed by Public Services Heads, Systems, and the Liaison Librarians A proposal to provide same-library and same-campus requesting for all users was submitted and is being reviewed by Public Services Heads, Systems, and the Liaison Librarians. EDI Action Items are being sent to service owners for prioritization. Items that can be completed this summer will be identified.

    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):

    The Public Service Heads group is in the process of analysing the assessment tool that will be used to determine libraries’ compliance with EDI requirements and expectations. When approved, Public Service Heads will implement the assessment. The group will discuss benchmarking for EDI initiatives on June 10, 2021.

    Staff Support (Liaisons: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman):

    The following BCL affinity groups have officially launched and had their first meetings: BIPOC (Rodrigo Castro), People with Disabilities (Anna Bartolini), LGBTQIA (Kathleen Monahan). Staff Support liaisons will be checking in with the facilitators shortly to figure out how things are proceeding. Once the affinity groups initiative is on solid footing, the Staff Support liaisons will be turning their attention to assessing how to better support & include employees that work an off typical hours schedules( ie. non Monday-Friday/9-5 schedules).

    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox):
    Earlier recommendations under review by ULAC (submitted early April)
    • Exit Interview/Survey Recommendations
    • Retention Survey Recommendations
    Staging recommendations for ULAC review in future; including review with Lyn Goode for information on what is being done elsewhere on campus, what is outside BCL’s scope, what campus resources/partners we can use, etc.
    • Job Posting Recommendations (finished late March, early April)
    • Job Description/Requirements Recommendations (finished late April)
    • Search Committee / Evaluating/Selecting Candidates Recommendations (finished late April)
    Identifying next priorities to be worked on. Options will be submitted to ULAC for selection/approval/prioritization before work begins.

    April 2021

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):

    The EDI Collections subgroup has the exciting news that in collaboration with the liaisons we have written and published a commitment to EDI in our public facing Collection Development Policy. Over the year, the liaisons will be adding EDI statements to the subject specific policies as well as choosing discipline-specific actions in order to act on those commitments.

    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):

    After presenting the Services Action Items to both Public Services Heads and the O’Neill Outreach team, more work is needed to determine who ultimately is responsible for creating and issuing guidelines and for requesting UX testing, etc. The Services Action Items will be clarified and reassigned as necessary.

    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):

    Public Service Heads started reviewing The Physical Environment Questionnaire. This questionnaire will be used to assess how EDI elements influence physical spaces. The questionnaire includes five categories: General factors, Integration of EDI principles, Community engagement, Furniture configurations, and Accessibility. The group is currently evaluating the instrument. Once approved, we will proceed with the implementation of the assessment process.

    Staff Support (Liaisons: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman):

    The following BCL affinity groups have officially launched and had their first meetings: BIPOC (Rodrigo Castro), People with Disabilities (Anna Bartolini), LGBTQIA (Kathleen Monahan). Staff Support liaisons will be checking in with the facilitators shortly to figure out how things are proceeding. Once the affinity groups initiative is on solid footing, the Staff Support liaisons will be turning their attention to assessing how to better support & include employees that work an off typical hours schedules( ie. non Monday-Friday/9-5 schedules).

    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):

    Staff and Leadership Training met with Damita Davis and Patricia Lowe from the Office of Institutional Diversity to continue discussions around developing a Library training program. Although Damita will be leaving BC, OID is well positioned to help us plan, facilitate, and assess training initiatives.

    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox):
    • Exit Interview and Retention Survey recommendations have been sent to ULAC; waiting for response. ULAC has had a preliminary discussion
    • Recommendations on Job Posting under review by EDI Advisory to be sent to ULAC soon
    • Job Descriptions/Requirements and Search Committee formation/responsibilities recommendations are being worked on

    March 2021

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):

    Entering a third phase in work, EDI Coll. is working on developing a mandate with consideration toward group goals and organization to facilitate cross-library communication and collaboration.

    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):

    Service action items were reviewed and will be shared with responsible staff, departments and committees in March.

    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):

    The Physical Environment Liaison met with Public Services Heads to discuss the progress of the questionnaire intended for assessing physical spaces’ compliance with EDI recommendations. It was decided that we need to reorganize the questions based on the level of ownership (e.g. questions related to facilities require input and expertise from other university units; questions related to community engagement can be fully addressed by members of the Public Service Heads group.

    Staff Support (Liaisons: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman):

    Staff Support Liaisons have secured three facilitators for the following affinity groups: BIPOC (Rodrigo Castro), Disability (Anna Bartolini), LGBTQIA (Kathleen Monahan). A message is currently being drafted to announce the first meetings of the three groups which will be sent out to the libraries. The meetings will also be added to the BCL EDI Event Calendar in the wiki.

    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):

    The Training committee met with Damita Davis from the Office of Institutional Diversity to explore developing training for the library. While OID’s calendar for the Spring is full, we’ll continue to work with them to plan future training. In the meantime the group has begun exploring ways to engage staff in discussion groups.

    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox):

    The WRRC began working in three small subgroups 1. Exit Interview Information 2. Retention Survey for Staff and 3. Recruitment / Hiring / Onboarding Processes. The Exit interview group and the retention groups both have finalized recommendations, which will be submitted to the EDI advisory group for review and next steps. The recruitment group will continue reviewing job descriptions. They are close to finalizing their recommendations on this and once they are done this will be sent to the EDI advisory group for review. The retention group will focus its efforts on advancement pathways. While the exit interview members will turn their focus to hiring.

    February 2021

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):
    Created draft EDI statement to be added to collection development policies. Handed off items related to ADA to the EDI Committee. Working to consolidate and prioritize remaining action items. Discussed adding items to annual goals of relevant staff members.
    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):
    Meetings with service owners were completed and the services assessment spreadsheet has been reduced to about 100 action items. Those action items will be reviewed and decisions made on what should move forward to the departments and committees responsible for implementing them.
    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):
    The Physical Environment Liaison is working on filling the rubric created to develop questions for conducting an initial assessment. The process has been somewhat difficult considering that most EDI space assessments consulted focus almost exclusively on accessibility. Other areas such as Cultural Representation or Flexibility are not thoroughly explored.
    Staff Support (Liaisons: Joceyln Figlock, Cat Ruth-Colman):
    Staff Support Liaisons are working to secure facilitators for BCL Affinity Groups. We hope to establish three Affinity Groups (BIPOC, LGBTQ+, & Disability) in the coming months.
    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):
    Last week we launched the BC Libraries EDI Event Calendar. There are quite a few EDI events listed already, and we invite you to contribute more! We’re now focused on putting together the first library-wide training initiative.
    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Shatoya White-Gay, Katherine Fox):
    The WRRC has broken into 3 subgroups to draft recommendations on 1. Exit Interview Information 2. Retention Survey for Staff and 3. Recruitment / Hiring / Onboarding Processes. The first 2 subgroups should have reports in by the end of March; the 3rd is more complex and will take longer. Many in the group have taken advantage of recent webinars related to EDI and hiring/retention in libraries, which will inform the work going forward.

    January 2021

    Collections (Liaisons: Bee Lehman, Teo Doras):
    The group is continuing to work through the associated recommendation list and has formed a temporary subgroup to specifically consider collection development policy statements.
    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):
    Service owners completed their initial review of the services assessment spreadsheet. Meetings have been scheduled in mid-January to go over the reviews.
    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):
    The Physical Environment Liaison created a wiki page to organize documentation related to EDI Physical Spaces, and developed a rubric to develop questions for conducting an initial assessment.
    Staff Support (Liaisons: Jocelyn Figlock, Cat Ruth-Coleman):
    The group is drafting a call for volunteers to facilitate 3 BCL Affinity Groups that we hope to establish in the near future: BIPOC, Disability, LGBTQA.
    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):
    The Staff and Leadership Training committee is working on building a calendar of EDI related events. They've also identified a topic for the first training, and will be sharing more details once they decide on the offering.
    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Katherine Fox and Shatoya Gay):
    The WRRC is actively working with Associate Director, Human Resource & Administrative on stay and exit interviews. In addition, we have identified tasks for SSCOI and have reviewed these tasks with their co-chairs. Their plan is to start working on these items this week. We are reviewing other tasks from our roadmap and the overlapping committees.

    December 2020

    Collections (Liaisons: Teo Doras and Bee Lehman):
    The Subcommittee has started meeting weekly (usually) on Wednesdays at 1500. The group has also put together a page on BC’ Wiki, where you can find notes as well as the recommendations the group is working through. Contact us to get the link to join a meeting or ask a question.
    Services (Liaison: Scott Britton):
    Service owners continue to review the assessment categories spreadsheet. Once completed, the responses will be reviewed and priorities established for each area.
    Physical Spaces (Liaison: Rodrigo Castro):
    The Physical Environment Liaison started developing a questionnaire to assess the areas identified through the Physical Environment Subgroup Report. The questionnaire aims at integrating the Principles of Universal Design to the physical spaces’ assessment process.
    Staff Support (Liaisons: Jocelyn Figlock and Cat Ruth-Coleman):
    Staff Support is beginning to reach out to the BC Library community with the Library Affinity Groups Interest Survey. We hope to foster connection and community among marginalized and underrepresented staff. We welcome your ideas and input!
    Staff & Leadership Training (Liaison: Luke Gaudreau):
    Training has selected the creation of an EDI training opportunities calendar as a first task and is looking ahead to further defining and concretizing some of the broader programmatic goals set by the summer Training Working Group.
    Workforce Recruitment & Retention (Liaisons: Katherine Fox and Shatoya Gay):
    WRR is finalizing an email to send to all new hires about wider OID opportunities on campus and reviewing/drafting EDI related questions for all BCL exit interviews