Library Research Guide
- Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. Library
The Irish music collections at the O'Neill Library include books, sheet music, recordings, videos, and CD-ROMs. The O'Neill Library Media Center provides listening and viewing stations.
- John J. Burns Library of Rare Books and Special Collections
The Irish Music Center at the Burns Library specializes in documenting Irish music in America. Formats include sheet music, books, recordings, correspondence, photographs, and more.
- The Musical Roots of Seamus Connolly, Sullivan Artist-in-Residence
Exhibit on view in the John J. Burns Library, January 25 through May 23, 2013. The exhibit highlights influences and milestones in Connolly’s music career, along with his teaching role on and off campus. As Sullivan Artist-in-Residence in the Center for Irish Programs, Connolly teaches fiddle; directs Irish music and dance instruction on campus; and curates the Gaelic Roots Music, Song, Dance, Concert and Lecture Series.
- Gaelic Roots Music, Song, Dance, Workshop, and Lecture Series
Sponsored by the Center for Irish Programs, Boston College. Events are recorded by the Irish Music Center Archives, John J. Burns Library. Visit the "Archives" page of this guide for a list of available recordings.
- Facebook: Gaelic Roots Music, Song, Dance, Workshop, and Lecture Series
- Unsung Music Pioneer: Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore and the Peace Jubilees of 1869 and 1872
Exhibit on view in the O'Neill Library, Level 3 Reading Room, from May 14-July 10, 2012
- Dear Harp of My Country: The Harp Traditions of Ireland and Scotland
Exhibition (June 7 to July 30, 2010) featuring two John Egan 'Portable Irish Harps' (early 1800s), Mary O'Hara's harp by Briggs (1953), and harp-related items from Burns Library collections.
- Mary O’Hara, Singer and Harpist: A Retrospective
The exhibition (October 11, 2009 – April 30, 2010) honors the 2009 donation of the Mary O’Hara Papers to the Irish Music Archives of the John J. Burns Library, Boston College.
- John McCormack, Tenor: Celebrating 125 Years
This fall 2009 exhibition commemorates the Irish tenor John McCormack (1884-1945) through career highlights, family life, and collaboration with other artists.
- Music Man (John McCormack)
Multimedia highlights from the fall 2009 exhibition, "John McCormack, Tenor: Celebrating 125 Years."
- Online Exhibit: Somewhere a Voice is Calling
"American Irish Musical Interpreters, 1850-1975." Supplement to O'Neill Library exhibit, summer 2007.
- Online Exhibit: Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore, 1829-1892:
"Father of the American Concert Band." Supplement to the John J. Burns Library exhibit, fall 2004.