About This Guide
This guide is intended to aid students of linguistics in the Slavic and Eastern Languages Department at Boston College.
These selected research resources consist of books and other materials in the O'Neill Library, web resources which are restricted to the Boston College community, and unrestricted web sites.
Additional help is available from the O'Neill Library subject specialist for the Slavic and Eastern Languages Department, Nina Bogdanovsky (617-552-1058; firstname.lastname@example.org), O'Neill Library Rm 309.
Online Reference Sources
Print Reference Sources
- The Atlas of Languages: The Origin and Development of Languages Throughout the World. (O'Neill Reference REF P106.L67 1996)
- Atlas showing language areas with the background of the peoples and cultures covered with pictures and examples of the language scripts.
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language. (O'Neill Reference REF P29.C64 1997)
- An illustrated encyclopedia of major language study themes with maps and charts and a bibliography.
- Compendium of the World's Languages. 2nd. ed. (O'Neill Reference REF P371.C36 2000)
- 300-plus languages are grouped and analyzed.
- A Dictionary of Language. (O'Neill Reference REF P29.C68 2001)
- Terms and concepts from linguistics and related areas.
- Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics. 5th ed. (O'Neill Stacks P29.C65 2003)
Definitions include bibliographies for further reading.
Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. 14 vols. 2nd ed. (O'Neill Reference REF P29 .E48 2006)
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Semiotics. 3 vols.( O'Neill Reference REF P99.E65 1994)
- Explains technical terms and interdisciplinary fields, and also comes with biographical information and guidance to further reading.
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Sciences of Language. (O'Neill Stacks P29.D813)
- Originally published in French in 1972. Treats language learning, the subfields of linguistics and concepts with an Index of Terms Defined.
- Guide to the World's Languages. Vol. 1. Classification. (O'Neill Stacks P203.R8 1987)
- Contains information on the classification of some 700 languages.
- International Encyclopedia of Communications. 4vols. (O'Neill Reference REF P87.5.I5 1989)
- All aspects of communication treated in a scholarly and detailed publication.
- Languages of the World. (O'Neill Reference REF P371.K38 1995)
- A useful survey of language families, individual languages, and countries where languages are spoken and number of people speaking them. Includes bibliography and index.
- Linguistic Bibliography. 1939-2002 P121.L584
- Annual bibliography providng worldwide comprehensive coverage of periodical articles, dissertations, chapters in books and conference proceedings.
- Linguistics: A Guide to the Reference Literature. (O'Neill Reference REF P121.D45x 2000)
- An interdisciplinary survey of reference sources in the field.
- The Linguistics Encyclopedia. (O'Neill Reference REF P29.L52 2002)
- Manual of Foreign Languages.... (O'Neill Reference REF Z253.U581 1952)
- Information on some 130 languages and dialects with alphabets and transliterations into English, pronunciation, punctuation, grammar, numerals and calendar information.
- A Student's Dictionary of Language and Linguistics. (O'Neill Reference REF P29.T69 1997)
- Broad coverage with concise definitions.
- World's Major Languages. (O'Neill Reference REF P371.W6 1987)
- Chapters on major languages and languages families by experts, with about half being Indo-European languages.
- Year's Work in Modern Language Studies. 1929- PB1.Y45
- Current five years kept in reference, previous years in stacks.