What to do when you suspect plagiarism?
- Familiarize yourself with the APA guidelines on plagiarism
- School of Social Work's guidelines
- When a faculty member determines that a student’s work violates the standards of academic integrity, that faculty member should discuss the violation with the student. (MSW Student Guide, 2022, p. 18)
- If the faculty member decides to impose a grading penalty, a letter of notification describing the incident and the grading penalty is to be sent to the SSW Chair of the Academic Standards Review Committee (ASRC), who will convene the Committee on Academic Integrity and serve as Chair. (MSW Student Guide, 2022, p. 18)
- How to talk to students about plagiarism.
The BC Office of Security, Integrity and Compliance provides access to iThenticate, a program to help detect plagiarism in student work. iThenticate is available to graduate students and faculty. Contact Daniella Melendez or email@example.com for access and more information.