About this Guide
This guide was designed to help you get started with social work research related to older adults and families. It includes encyclopedias with background information, statistical sources, and journal databases.
Encyclopedia of Gerontology
The four-volume Encyclopedia of Gerontology is now available online!
Look for basic background information:
- If you are just getting started with your research, and you want to get a general sense of a topic, look through the handbooks, encyclopedias, and websites featured on background information and facts.
We recommend searching for books when you want to find a broad overview of a topic.
- Books and book chapters are excellent sources of historical overview on a topic.
- You can also find several view points on a topic in one collected volume.
Search for journal articles when:
- you have an especially narrow or specific topic in mind
- you want to find source of peer-reviewed publications
- You need the most current information