Think Like a Librarian
How does a librarian think? In general, we:
- think in categories
- learn how the tools work
In a particular search, we start broad, and get narrower, roughly in this order:
- Which fields ask questions about that topic? (And what kinds of questions are they asking?)
- Which resources do we have at our disposal to find information in that field?
- which research guides
- which tools in the catalog,
- which databases?
- What expert terms does a subject encyclopedia suggest?
- Which terms in which databases return the most relevant results?
- Collect articles.
- Then we start reading for detail.
Other Useful Guides
by Ben Florin Last Updated Apr 6, 2017 867 views this year
Citing Sources & Creating Bibliographies
by Steve Runge Last Updated May 1, 2017 1859 views this year
Finding Scholarly Journals
by Steve Runge Last Updated Jun 7, 2017 964 views this year
by Kwasi Sarkodie-Mensah Last Updated May 25, 2017 1313 views this year