This guide highlights useful resources for finding information about American Politics
If a database search tells you about an article but the full article's not there, don't despair. Look for the "FindIt" button:
Integrated by the BC Libraries into many databases, "Find It" helps you get the article in one of three ways:
- If an article cited in one database is available in full text in another online source, there will be a direct link to the full article or, in a few cases, to the journal.
- If the journal in which an article appeared is available in hard copy in the BC Libraries, there will be a link to Holmes, the Boston College Libraries online discovery tool. Click on that link and then on "Find it in Library" to see where in the libraries you can find the specific issue.
- If the article is not available electronically or in hard copy at BC, there will be a link to Interlibrary Loan Request, which will bring up a form through which you can request the Libraries to obtain the article for you (usually within 24 hours) from outside BC.
More about FindIt
- Columbia International Affairs
This resource for theory and research in international affairs includes full text of books, journal articles, policy briefs, working papers.
- International Political Science Abstracts
Indexes and abstracts articles from nearly 900 major political science journals. Covers theory, government, political process, international relations, and national and area studies.
- Left Index
Left Index has provided access to the diversity of literature on the left, with a primary emphasis on politically and culturally engaged scholarship inside and outside the academy.
- PAIS International
An index to the literature of public policy, social policy, and the social sciences in general.
Offering access to U.S. foreign and domestic policy papers and gray literature, PolicyFile is updated weekly with abstracts and links to the latest reports, papers, and documents from think tanks, research institutes, and agencies.
- Proquest Political Science
Gives users access to over 150 leading political science and international relations journals. This collection covers such topics as comparative politics, political economy, international development, environmental policy, and hundreds of related topics.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
This index will probably give you the most relevant journal citations for papers in American Politics.
- Academic Onefile
Recent academic and popular journals in all subject areas.
- Dissertations & Theses Full Text
Citations and abstracts to more than 2 million dissertations and theses in all fields produced in North American colleges and universities from 1861 to the present, and from around the world since 1988 with full text from 1990s on.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books
Coverage includes law reviews, bar association journals, university publications, yearbooks, institutes and government publications.
- Periodicals Index Online
Periodicals Index Online is a database of millions of articles published in the arts, humanities and social sciences, across more than 300 years.
- Women's Studies International
Covers the core disciplines in Women's Studies to the latest scholarship in feminist research.
The JSTOR project is a digital archive of fully searchable back issues of scholarly journals in political science in other disciplines